Thursday, March 15, 2012

Oh the view...........


....as I descended the staircase. People in all their finery. It was hard to imagine we were in the midst of what would be called "The Great Depression." It seemed the entire lobby was in motion. Father and I decided rather than going out and dealing with New York at night, after our long ride, we'd simply do dinner at the hotel's restaurant. Such a restaurant it was! Of course in that day, and especially in a place like the Waldorf, everyone dressed for dinner. In the entrance to the restaurant we were almost overcome with the smells of the fabulous dinner delights that awaited us.


I must say I felt a certain special connection to the hotel and all the grandeur, simply due to the connection of our names. John Jacob Astor built the original hotel, and of course named it after the Astoria community in Oregon where his family had made their fortune in the fur trade. While there certainly was no direct connection to my being named Astoria, I did feel a little bit of a special connection to all that I saw!...........astoria


By the by, what to wear to dinner?

Tina
https://www.etsy.com/listing/94611821/
nugents-fav-crushed-velvet-military


By the by, to go back to the beginning and catch up to all of Astoria's adventures go to:
http://buttonbroadmemoirs.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-this-my-100th-birthday.html

No comments:

Post a Comment