Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The actual train ride..............

Vivian
.... to New York, on the Pennsy (that’s what everyone called the Pennsylvania Railroad) was rather un-eventful. It took somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 some hours as I remember. I watched the world go by the car windows wanting occasionally to reach out and grab a moment that went streaming by as the whistle blew, but all I could do was watch and wonder what I was missing as a cloud of steam moved in to obstruct my view.
Meals were spent of course in the dining car, with everyone dressed appropriately, trying to eat soup or sip tea as the train rocked back and forth. Anticipation fueled my sleeplessness!




We came clattering into the amazing insanity that was Grand Central Station. Oh, but the cacophony that surrounded us! It seemed everyone was moving in different directions, grabbing things, shouting, the noise of trains pulling in and pulling out. I wanted to simply stop and stare, trying to absorb it all, but that was not to be; there were places to go and much more to try and comprehend.


Vivian
https://www.etsy.com/listing/92395511/
asymmetrical-jacket-with-vintage-fur?ref=v1_other_2


By the by, I still remember the brown tweed suit I wore. It had a  wonderful fur collar and made me look much more mature. After all, I planned to be taken very seriously:















By the by, to go back to the beginning and catch up to all of Astoria's adventures go to:
http://buttonbroadmemoirs.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-this-my-100th-birthday.html

No comments:

Post a Comment