Saturday, March 24, 2012

Beyond the rides...........

....we saw the most extraordinary people one had ever laid eyes on…they were human oddities, and rather pitiful creatures, some called “freaks.”

They were just off the boardwalk. We descended into a world of darkness and bizarre images. I gripped father’s hand as we walked ever so carefully. There was a woman there with a long flowing beard, and children joined at the waist called “Siamese Twins.” There was also this tortured soul called the “Snake Girl” whose body seemed to dwindle down to a tail resembling a snake.
While I was amazed, I was also appalled. I wanted to look away but could not, until our descent into the bizarre world came to an abrupt halt as daylight blissfully assaulted our eyes again.....astoria  

By the by, to go back to the beginning and catch up to all of Astoria's adventures go to:
http://buttonbroadmemoirs.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-this-my-100th-birthday.html

No comments:

Post a Comment