Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I’ll never forget summers at ShadyBrook....

Olive
…..a vacation resort in the Catskills. Our family would spend the entire season there (Father would come and go; he could never leave the button factory for very long). We had the cutest cottage, and the activities kept us quite busy….there was the lake, with water skiing and diving from the wooden platforms….there were board games in the common area, and enormous bonfires at night. And my favorite…..the dance lessons. I was young, and of course had a huge crush on the lead dance instructor, Johnny. Father didn’t approve of him because he was much older than I, but I couldn’t stay away….after all, he called me “Baby”. We danced so well together that we won the contest at the end of the summer, fell in love, got married and lived happily ever after. “No, I might be old, but I am not senile! I know that was “Dirty Dancing”! (what’s the point in telling stories if one can’t have a little fun!)"......But we did have great times! And instead of dancing with Johnny, I fell in love with photography!  I had countless afternoons to roam the estate and practice taking pictures of flora and fauna….they even had a darkroom. That passion turned out to be one of the greatest joys of my life. I carted my camera equipment around the world and never looked back………. astoria

This is me around 1929

By the by, every time I see Dirty Dancing, the movie, especially the scene with the final dance, I get the same tingly feeling I did at ShadyBrook.....I hear the music, smell the forest and dream of falling in love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo

<><><><><><><><>
Olivia
https://www.etsy.com/listing/94362188/
plaid-tweed-jacket-embellished-with
By the by, alas, it was time to return to
school and back to typing class! I might have worn this:


or this:

Olive
https://www.etsy.com/listing/94360977/
whimsical-jacket-with-vintage-parasol


By the by, to go back to the beginning and catch up to all of Astoria's adventures, go to:
http://buttonbroadmemoirs.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-this-my-100th-birthday.html



No comments:

Post a Comment